This is part of the rocket ship project.
I’ve had a few goes at fusing plastic over the years, but this project called for a larger sheet than I’d attempted before. The piece was bigger than my table and took over an hour of ironing. I really liked being able to make a whole ‘fabric’ of any size I wanted using this fusing method.
I came to acquire a large sheet of orange plastic that I was keen to use for something, and this has now formed the main colour as the outer layer of the rocket nose.
I fused 6 layers – clear, orange, mixed light, mixed dark, mixed light, dark on the inside. The inside layers are made up of a patchwork of all sorts of used waste plastics that were ripped or had holes. I managed to use up a pile of mailing envelopes that I didn’t know what else to do with. I found that doing light and then dark layers helped me see where I was going.
Although I had some some fusing some years ago but didn’t record it. Things I rediscovered this time round;
- Place the ink on the insides as it can transfer onto the greaseproof paper
- Medium setting of my iron is fine
I cut a semi circle out of the large sheet and sewed it into a cone using my sewing machine. There were just enough scraps left over to piece together the portholes. I sewed these to the tetra pak panels.
I like that there is some of the print from the plastic bags showing through the orange outer layer. It shows it’s recycled!